Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sindoor

Saw a woman the other day with an orange top. No surprises there. The surprise was that she was wearing orange coloured Sindoor. Is this the latest trend in fashion I thought? If she were wearing a blue top, would she wear blue sindoor? Is blue sindoor available? Maybe somewhere there is a visionary who saw an unexploited idea, seized the opportunity and is set to make millions. Maybe the biggies should buy him over while he's at this nascent stage and get onto the "multicoloured sindoor bandwaggon" with a first mover advantage. The idea is so new that it could actually be patented.

This got me thinking about the origins of the name "sindoor". After extensive research I've found out that it is called so because of the change that marriage causes in the woman's life. You see, marriage is a cleansing act. She stops having premarital sex, and extramarital sex is an absolute no-no. Sin-door is therefore symbolic of the woman leaving her wicked ways behind.

Now that I had derived the origins of the word, I did some research on the use. Someone knowledgeable told me that "sindoor has a cooling effect". Immediately I understood. "Ahh the bride is all hot and she needs something to cool her down eh?" I said with a wink. I was told that I had a one track mind. I plan to upgrade to a 32 track system immediately.

Aaj ka naya PJ - If we are all in a b(ee)-school, are our professors drone-aacharyas? (Copyright Gautam)


Comments:
well u know my mom used watch this soap on tv.the actress in it wuld wear silver sindoor when she wore silver embroidered clothes.She blue sindoor when she wore blue clothes..she matched her sindoor with her clothes.
i wonder whether majority woman really have pre marital sex in india. a recent survey in tamil nadu was shocking when the results said that majority women who had pre marital sex were from rural areas of tamil nadu.
 
:) I'm thinking there is a market for Sin-paas as well - symbolism for the free woman-of -today.
Why didnt they tell me about rural Tamil Nadu earlier????
 
the orange sindoor is a U.P. thing (not sure of region), its a sign of a new brides. kinda like the red bangles the punjabi brides wear... its supposed to be a one year thing
 
I didn't know Sindoor had a cooling effect... Cha! I'll go for tandoor instead.
Sin-tax error
 
CC- Is there some website which you can subscribe to which gives you results of such surveys? If so, I'd like to subscribe in the limited time that i have

Zap - Sin-pass already exists. Its more popularly known as vodka :)

CE - Thanks for clarifying. Amidst all the fun good to know the real funda

Seema - After extensive research i've found out the origins of the word Tandoor too. Its hot, so stay away. Tandoor se Tan-door rakhna. And sin-tax is not an error. Its a reality ;)
 
if you get caught doing something you shouldn't be doing..you pay a sin-tax..unless u have a sin-pass which enablees you to 3nights 4 dyas in sin city.

but in my experience the profs just drone on and on..and never mind their own bees nest..they want to know the answers to such personal questions like..where is you assignment? or why are you sleeping in class...
 
SIN-ful, I say... :-)
 
new post please :p
 
Ah - wonder what made me visit your blog today! Was pleasantly surprised to see that after all the debits that you (and your ex-co.) have given me here lies a teeny-weeny credit :-)

Kya sin hai - absolutely wonderful interpretations. I think that the sinDoor is only present to cover the sinUS so that no dust and smoke leaks into the dark walls of the sintartic cavity - unfortunately for me I didn't wear one!
 
actually the word comes from english and lies corrupted in hindi pronounciation(i've had difficulties saying out this word as well).

its actually sindoor as in the door to all sins...well now whether you use it to quit all sins or start commiting more of them is your priority.

how about that?
 
Some research haan?
 
Seema - sorry time nahi hai. I expected YOU to know that at least! :))

Alice - nono u have the wrong idea. Men are SUPPOSED to sin

Gautam - When will you stop relating me to my ex-co! When?!?!?!

Ck - its a case of ek door khenche, dooja dauda chala aaye..!

Bhagya - No research; this is a case of '43.48% of statistics are made up on the spot'
 
isnt orange sindoor associated with lord hanuman??

nice PJ!
 
You did not need the "AAj ka naya PJ" section at the end, really. "Sin-door" and "...32 track system" were Pathetic enough. :D
 
rotfl
lauly i say..i am in gratitute for giving laughter at the end of hard work-day


and thanx for truly good time yesterday..u two are awesome
 
Meghna - Hanuman? Isnt he supposed to be bramhachari? how can sindoor be associated with him?

Nikhil - All in the greater service of my audience

Jinxed - Welcome anytime
 
informative
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Media Center
Media Center